Thursday, December 1, 2022

Compa Mamba in Miami








artist: Coupe Cloue
album: Live in Paris
label: LPSGMG







Some people claim that the creator's ultimate creation are Haitian woman.  They are correct.

Maybe it has something to do with beautiful African women speaking with French accents, or maybe it's voodoo, but good lord, thank you.





























I moved to Miami five years ago for my work.  I love the city.  I live in an apartment on the bay a couple blocks from South Beach.  I must say it is quite nice. The blue ocean, the white sandy beaches and the women sunbathing...what more do you need man.






















The work that I moved to Miami for was a temporary position.  It ended after three years and living next to this beautiful ocean I decided to take some time off and chill. 

I'm a record collector and by the time I got to Miami I had amassed a record collection of over 7000 discs.  LPs and singles.  Mainly reggae records but also African records and a trove of 60s selections.  They were all in boxes that filled most of my living room.  

So, to summarize, my day job was over.  I had thousands of records that were worth a bundle. I didn't really feel like getting another job.   What to do?

And that, my dear friends, is how grooVemonzter got started.

Since then I've been selling records on eBay and hanging out at the beach, and it is lovely. 





























I have a routine of sorts.  I post my records in the morning and take the ones that sell to the post office.  Other than that, my days were mine.   When business is done, I venture out into Miami to see what comes my way.

A few months ago I was driving down the street in South Beach when I heard the most wonderful music.  It was coming out of the window of the car driving next to me.

When we reached the stop light I looked over and saw that the car was being driven by a lovely Haitian woman.  I figured out that she was Haitian after I spoke to her and heard her accent.

I figured out she was beautiful because I can see.

Being that I am the shy type I called over to her, "Hey, what kind of music is that?" 

She grinned and yelled back, "It's Compa!"

Living in Miami I've heard a lot of Compa on the radio.  This music was different.  It didn't sound anything like the radio Compa.  But in as much as I was in love I called back, "It's nice!"

"Do you want the CD?" She yelled back.

Honest.

I said something like, "Really?"

She started laughing. "Yah," she said, "It's a copy."  And to my surprise I saw her reaching over to eject the CD.

Events unfolded rapidly.  We were sitting in our cars at a stop light in the middle of Miami traffic.  In amazement, I suddenly saw her holding the CD out of her passenger side window.  I tried to grab it, but I couldn't quite reach far enough so I got out of my car.  

About then the light turned green.

She started cracking up.  I ran over to her car and grabbed the CD.  I began hearing horns honking.  She threw her car into gear and gunned it.  I ran back to my car amid cries of anger.  And she was gone.  Lost in traffic.

But the CD was in my car playing.

And that, my dear friends, is how I got the CD pictured above.

It appears to be home made and written on it is "Coupe Cloue Live in Paris" and "L-P-S-G-M-G"

I looked up Coupe Cloue.  Coupe Cloue is a famous Haitian musician.  His band "L'ensemble Select" is well known in Haiti and other parts of the world especially Africa.  Coupe Cloue's Compa is different and unique.  They call it Compa Mamba.

Does anybody know what "L-P-S-G-M-G" stands for?  I haven't the foggiest idea.  





 





Miami 2009
Calbayog City 2023



.











No comments:

Post a Comment