Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Filipino Wandering

 








Filipino Wandering

 

Hi John and everyone,

 

How are you all? Life here in the Philippines is moving along. Each day is a new day. We wake up with the roosters. After I've had my coffee and after we've gotten our son off to school, my wife opens up the store and I, create another day.

I love going on walks through our little city. Sometimes I have things to do like buy fruit or whatever but usually I just wander around. Aimlessly. Just me. Wandering through this strange and beautiful city so full of mystery. I feel keenly alive. It's amazing.. 

Today I went for a long walk.  I made it all the way to the far side of the city and I kept going out into the countryside.  It was a beautiful day.  Blue skies and a few fluffy clouds. And quiet.  I walked down a country road into the coconut jungle and I kept going.  Just me and the green jungle and the occational car.




"Hi"

I heard a woman's voice from somewhere.

Now John, one of my personal mottos that I always adhered to is that if you hear someone yell "Hey you" do not turn to look at them.  This came to my mind, so I just kept walking.

"Hi" I heard the woman's voice again.

It did not sound unfriendly.  But I kept walking.

Suddenly a young boy came running up to me pointing to where he had come from saying, "My mother..." pointing.

I turned to look and there, standing in the doorway of a nipa hut, was a raven-haired Filipina waving me to come over.  Smiling. Come, she motioned to me, come.

"Hi," she said again and even from the distance her smile was lovely.

Oh my...

Now John, had I been younger and single, knowing me I would have come.  I'm dumb like that and... 

But John, I am neither.  

I smiled back and called out "Thank you" for what reason I don't know but thank you's never hurt.

I turned and continued walking.

The boy urged me again to come but I said "No" with a smile and he seemed to get the hint because he stopped.  And me, I kept walking and didn't look back.

I made it to the end of the road where it hit the coast highway and wandered out onto the rocky shore.  I found myself in what looked like a fishing village with homes on wooden piles and small boats sitting peacefully on the beach.













As I walked by the beach homes I saw an old woman sitting on a porch.   When I got near to her, I kid you not, she held up a glass of whiskey and said laughingly, "Do you want a drink?"

"No thank you," I said "I don't drink" which is one hundred percent true.

 And I kept walking. 


Calbayog, 2022 





No comments:

Post a Comment