Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Fireworks on the waterfront






































I was down at the docks this morning. It's almost New Years and they're selling fireworks. I think they sell the fireworks by the waterfront just in case someone gets stupid and lights up a cigarette or something. Let me tell you, you have never in your life seen so many fireworks. An entire city block right there on the waterfront with nothing but fireworks for sale. I wanted to get a picture, but I was to shy to just walk up and take a picture. So, what I did was I walked along the booths and quietly recorded a video.

When I was finished filming I wanted to see if I had gotten a good take so I looked around for a place where I could sit and watch it.

Across the street there was a patio overlooking the river with some chairs. I walked over to look for a seat. Suddenly an older gentleman came up to me and said, in an altogether friendly way, "Can we get you anything?"

Why not. "Can you get me a cup of coffee?" I asked.

"Coffee?" he said, then, "Yes, yes," and he motioned to a young man who ran off to get me a cup of coffee.

"Have a seat." he said extending his hand towards a table where a young woman was sitting.

I surveryed the situation and pulled out a chair at the far end of the table and started looking at my cell phone.

In my peripheral vision I could see the older gentleman urging the young woman to come join me. At the man's urging the young woman moved over and sat across the table from me.

"He wants me to talk to you." she said shyly.

I looked over at the older man. He was looking back at us with a huge grin on his face. I looked back at the young woman. Dark hair and lovely almond eyes. She looked like she had stepped out of a fabulous Paul Gauguin painting. She looked back at me.

"May I ask you what is your name?" she asked me demurely.

"Cole." I said.

"Cole." she repeated. Quietly to herself.

I watched her for a second and then, why not.

"What is your name?" I asked her.

"Marilee." she said.

"Marilee." I repeated, "that's a lovely name."

This made her relax noticeably and she sat back and smiled directly at me.

Oh, My, God. What a beautiful smile.

Our eyes locked.

Right about then I literally raised up my hands and said to them both,

"Listen," I said, "I'm married."

To which Marilee said,

"I'm married too."

I put the palm of my hand over my forehead and muttered, "Dear God."

Luckily at that moment I was saved by the coffee.

The young man brought my cup of coffee and placed it in front of me.

I focused on the coffee. Marilee waited patiently.

The coffee was hot and I realized that I was going to be there until the cup was done. I took a sip and blew on it a bit. It was starting to look like I wasn't going to view my video.


Calbayog City 2022










.







No comments:

Post a Comment